Monday, June 13, 2011

Definitely Not Jumping on the Bandwagon

Do you ever want to like something just because people that you respect do? I had a weekend full of those moments. I rented Ratatouille, despite having seen it a few years ago and remembering it as lackluster. My friends and family like it. Roger Ebert gave it 4 stars! Maybe on that initial viewing several years ago I was tired/worried/not in the mood for animation? Nope. I still think it's the most boring of the Pixar films (I know, I know, this is almost as bad as admitting that I didn't like Inception).


To be fair, the rat that we just caught in our garage may be influencing me negatively.


After turning off Ratatouille right in the middle, I told myself that I'd plow through the remainder of Cat's Cradle. Several readers whose taste I respect have told me that they loved Vonnegut, so perhaps upon finishing the novel I, too, would find this love.


Nope.


I can't put my finger on what it is specifically that I just can't connect with in Vonnegut's work, because I've certainly read more off-the-wall satire and more bizarre science fiction. Something about him is just not for me. And here I am applauding myself publicly for giving writers a second chance and finding other works that I liked. Maybe I jinxed myself?


Cat's Cradle is an apocalyptic tale that examines the role of technology, science, and religion in our lives. It definitely has funny moments, and it's a quick read. Other people like this book (actual people I know, not just random reviewers on amazon.com). The University of Chicago liked it so much they awarded Vonnegut his Master's Thesis for it. So maybe you will, too.


As for me, I'm moving on to Bonfire of the Vanities, and trying not to feel ridiculous that the only version I could track down has GIANT large type and weighs almost as much as I do.


What's something popular that doesn't do much for you - books, movies, etc.?

Cuter rat than the one in my garage image found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know some of these novels will incite strong opinions, but please remember to be nice. Violators may be prosecuted, persecuted, and thought to be A Mean Person.