Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Risky Review

I already know that there are going to be at least two friends out there who disagree with my assessment of Franny and Zooey, but here goes.

I thought it was okay. Not great. Just okay.


Dare I admit in this risky review that I felt the same about In-n-Out Burger?

Of course, I finished reading it on the plane to San Francisco. Maybe heavy, philosophy-of-life type reading just wasn't the right pre-vacation material?


Unless you are my husband. Clearly he's solving the problems of the universe here.

I actually enjoyed Salinger's messages delivered via Zooey (Franny's older brother). Christ is everywhere, even in little, everyday things like their mother's "consecrated chicken soup." You may not like how a person behaves, but that individual still deserves respect/love just for being a person. Basically, Franny need not go through the ritual of the Jesus Prayer to attain enlightenment; she just needs to open her eyes to the spiritual world already present around her. Good stuff.

Not so good stuff...this book felt really long to me, even though it was just a little over 200 pages. After the "action" of Franny, Zooey was basically extended dialogue between Zooey and his mom Bessie, and then more extended dialogue between Zooey and Franny to guide her out of her nervous breakdown. Even though it was awesome that Zooey tried to help his little sis through her crisis, he seemed like kind of a jerk, especially when speaking to his mother (Is it just me, or should I create a label "Books with Jerks"?).  If he's so keen on love and respect and all that jazz, why is he calling his mom fat and stupid to her face?

I realize this is a personal pet peeve of mine, and that it won't necessarily keep others from liking the book. As for me, I don't have time for Mean People, in the real world, or in novels.

Anti Mean People Postcards (Package of 8)
Evidently I'm not the only one! Order anti-mean people postcards here!


Now I know other people out there have read this one...did you love it? Hate it? Or are you in the middle like me?

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, that sounds lovely! Not like seeing Jesus in a piece of toast because it looks like Jesus, but rather finding spiritual beauty in simple stuff? Like Amelie sticking her fingers in the bags of beans at the market? I like it!

    ReplyDelete

I know some of these novels will incite strong opinions, but please remember to be nice. Violators may be prosecuted, persecuted, and thought to be A Mean Person.