Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Waaa waaa, waaa waaaaa, waaaa, waaaaaaaaaa.

I'm trying something new and different whilst I am stuck on A Passage to India (see my previous post for more on that). I just checked out my first audio book from the library, F. Scott Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night.

I started listening to the CDs this past Wednesday. So far this is how I feel:



And yes, I had to draw that myself, because when I Google image searched "Charlie Brown classroom" I almost got a computer virus. Danger on the interwebs.

I really really really wish that I could be one of those superproductive people able to turn my work commute into an awesome "catch up on my reading" or "learn language from audio tapes" session. Alas, that may remain a lofty dream. For some reason, it's just easier to stay awake and enthusiastic listening to the latest fluffy pop song or playing Name that Tune along with the morning show.
Multitasking is a Myth
Example of productivity I cannot manage. Of course, not really too sure how she's talking on the phone AND drying her hair either. Must be a Magic Secret of Multitaskers.

As for Tender is the Night, well...I have a feeling this will fall squarely into the Disillusioned People Behaving Badly subcategory on my reading list. I'm about twenty chapters in and pretty much all that's happened is that a young actress has met Dick and Nicole Diver and their group of friends while in post-WWI France, and she's fallen in love with Dick and begun an affair with him. Oh, and of course the whole crowd has had lots of parties, shopping excursions, late nights, too much drinking, and a duel. You know, the standard Disillusioned People activities. I have a hunch they might all start feeling better if they'd just get full time jobs (Seriously their careers include an actress, a musician, a mercenary soldier, and a non-practicing physician; on further reflection, judging by their daily activities, it would seem they all are non-practicing).

How do you feel about audio books? Easy way to sneak in extra reading or quick trigger for a snooze?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know some of these novels will incite strong opinions, but please remember to be nice. Violators may be prosecuted, persecuted, and thought to be A Mean Person.