Friday, February 18, 2011

Distractions

I'm losing steam.

The first hints of spring are in the air (and this is Texas, so I really have to pay attention and enjoy it for the five minute it lasts here), and I'm finding that I just don't have the motivation to read. I especially don't have the motivation to read The Satanic Verses.

Everything I'm about to share could possibly reveal me as a superstitious and mildly crazy person, but here goes. Even though I know it's not really about Satan, I don't like reading a book with the word "Satan" in the title. I don't really want to be seen reading it in a public place. I left it at home on purpose during my trip to San Fran because I felt weird about carrying it on a plane (I am far enough to know it starts with a plane exploding in the air). And even though I know most of the books on my list have been offensive to one group or another at some point in time...this book earned Salman Rushdie death threats from an organized government in recent history. Eeeeek.

I'm not Muslim, and quite frankly I don't even understand half the cultural and religious references I've read so far in the first hundred pages, but I just feel some bad ju-ju about a novel that has been so upsetting to people of that faith. So instead I've been...

Planting flowers.


Painting doors.


Snuggling with my cat.


Learning to grill lobster tails and bake cheese bicuits with the Hubs.


Am I being too superstitious about The Satanic Verses? Or even better...how ready are you for spring?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know some of these novels will incite strong opinions, but please remember to be nice. Violators may be prosecuted, persecuted, and thought to be A Mean Person.